Conditions of Participation
BaltiCCycle (BC) is not a commercial tour, all organizers are volunteers, and the membership fee collected goes only for covering organizational expenses. Joining the BC you become a part of the team, and we expect from you the goodwill, the right understanding of our principles and rules, as well as the offering assistance when organisers need it.
The BaltiCCycle 2011 “Trough the Apennines to the Lombardy Lakes, that is to Italy for pizza” is scheduled for advanced participants having some experience in long travels, especially in mountain regions. The majority of route will follow the surfaced roads though of very different quality. The sleeping places will be mostly in campings. You should be ready for adventures, adverse weather conditions (especially hot temperature) and crowed italian roads, especially along cost. July is a top of touristic sezon. The ride is open for everybody but before signing you should think about your potential to complete it not bringing troubles to yourself and others.
Organizational principles. It is a similar trip to the previous BC tours:
- Usually the daily cycling distance is about 80 km, only in the exceptional cases it can reach 100 km. Because of mountains and many historical sights aside the roads, we have days with shorter daily distances until 60 km. The rest days are planned once a week, in places with famous, interesting sights.
- We will sleep in tents in official camping sites (if available), sometimes in wild nature, or in other suitable places. Not all sleeping places are arranged in advance, the BC support car will go ahead looking for them.
- The maps with a marked day’s route and description will be distributed during a map-meeting every morning as well as the day’s program explained.
- From sleeping to sleeping place you can travel individually or in small groups. When according the program some common event is planned we will cycle in one group wearing T-shirts and other ride symbolic.
- The car of organizers will follow during the whole ride. In case of serious emergency you can call the driver asking to transport to the nearest first aid or service centre. In case of injury, sickness or other reason when participant is not able to continue cycling for more than 1-2 days the organizers can offer to transport his bike but can’t undertake any obligations to provide a passenger seat in the car.
- When planning the route we try to avoid the roads with high level of traffic but not everywhere it is possible. The main part of the route will go on paved asphalt roads but the quality of the pavement can be very different.
Arrival / Departure. The cost of arrival/departure is not included in the membership fee, you have to arrange transport by yourself. If you are going to join or finish the ride in another place, you have to plan it yourself too. We can pick you up for the additional fee (3 Euro per 10km) in the radius of 50 km. You have to inform us about it at least 2 days in advance. Click here to find the rough recommendations about arrival/departure options. It will be possible during the whole period to contact the ride organizers by mobile phone or email. Though the ride schedule is already fixed but the real dates can be slightly shifted (plus/minus 1-2 days) because of unexpected obstacles. Have it in your mind when planning your travel.
Visas. Citizenships of EU can stay in Italy till 90 days in accordance to valid Identify Card or passport.
Ferries / ships / boats. We will use such service, but with option to reach destination also by bike. The price of tickets is not included in the participation fee, and you have to pay for the tickets separately.
Catering. It depends only on you. It is recommended to bring along a gas stove for preparing meal in the campsites and enough drinkable water during the day – it will be hot. If the tap drinkable water is not available in the campsite, you will find it in our van.
Necessary equipment and documents:
- bicycle prepared for long travel (carriers with panniers or saddlebags, safe brakes, reflectors and light); click here for the recommendations how to prepare the bike;
- cyclist first-aid kit (more medicines in the support car);
- bike spare parts and keys to service it (some bike repair equipment will be in the support car);
- valid passport or Identify Card;
- INDIVIDUAL MEDICAL INSURANCE is obligatory, no group insurance is provided;
- camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, gas stove, light, waterproof and sun protected clothes, etc);
- money for personal expenses (bicycle repair, food, museums, ferries and other expenses);
- mobile phone.
Children until 18. Children can take part in the ride only together with parents (one or both) or another adult who is authorized by notary to take care and is fully responsible for the juvenile.
Luggage transport. We recommend carrying the necessary personal stuff in the panniers of your bike. The service of luggage transportation is limited to 20 kg should be packed to a standard bag (you will receive the bag after arrival), and it is included in the registration fee. In case of emergency (car accident or some other unexpected circumstances) you should be ready to carry all your stuff 1-2 days on the bike. If you plan to transport any additional bag in the support bus you have to indicate when registering and pay in advance (2 Euro per day).
Membership fee. The membership fee for 15 Euro/day. You have to indicate the number of days you plan to travel in the table of the Registration Form, and your membership fee for the whole tour will be counted automatically.
The membership fee will not be required from the local cyclists who are invited to support the ride and will cycle less than 3 days. The organizers will appreciate if local participants will purchase a package with ride symbols (T-shirts, flag and sticker).
The membership fee includes:
- sleeping place for a tent under simple camp-conditions (outdoor toilet, drinking water, waste-baskets) in camp-site at the river or lake, sometimes (when camping in tent is not possible) under a roof in sport hall of gymnasium, stadium, church, hostel or other place;
- car following the group with first-aid and basic bicycle repair instruments; possibility to call the car in case of serious emergency;
- transportation of personal stuff (1 standard bag 20 kg);
- black copy of maps with the marked route; list of recommended sights as well as a short description;
- a package with ride symbols: T-shirts, flag and sticker;
- daily consultation regarding the route, cultural program, cattery;
- cozy surprises prepared by organizers or local authorities.
- 10% – is available for pupils and students (not more than 26 years old), and families (3 and more people);
- 15% – for BC participants who cycled 100 days and more with us in BC history (2003-2011);
- the discounts are applicable only if registration form and at least the half part of membership fee is received before June 16, 2011;
- full membership fee must be paid at least 5 days before your start day, otherwise is increased by 10% and discount expire;
- participants who obtain potential sponsors will receive a Privilege Discount;
- participants who fully prepare some part of the route or who help organizers before or during the ride (being a doctor, a serviceman etc.) will receive a Privilege Discount.
Additional paid service (optional):
– booked by registration
- transportation of additional personal luggage (one standard bag up to 20 kg – 2 Euro per day);
- additional T-shirt (10 Euro per unit);
- safety jacket (3 Euro per unit);
– booked during the ride
- bike spare parts (shop prices);
- possibility to use transport of organizers for arrival/departure to/from the ride in the radius of 50 km (3 Euro per 10 km).
Resignation rules. The date of resignation is fixed on when the resignation letter is received by organizers (before the ride by email firstname.lastname@example.org, during the ride it should be delivered to the leaders of expedition and confirmed by them). The date is important, because resigning from the tour the participant receives his membership fee back in the following manner:
- up to 30 days before the start – 100 %;
- 10-30 days before the start – 70 %;
- less than 10 days before the start – no money repaid, however 50% are deposited in participant’s account for the next year BC tour; if not used next year – they are lost in behalf of BC organisation;
- after 10 and more days of cycling – 80% of unused money (for the first 10 days no refund);
- money are paid back under mentioned above circumstances within 30 days after the end of the tour;
- money are not paid back for the excluded from the tour participants;
- if you decide to change the sleeping place provided by organizers to another, you will yourself cover a cost for it, the organizers don’t give money back if you don’t sleep with a group;
- if due to some reasons the participant separates from the group for one or more days (nights) no refund for this lost time is applicable.
- The Polish Travellers’ Association CROTOS,
- The GMPR Lithuanian Fund.
- Latvian cyclist club and courier company Velokurjers,
- Crosso bicycle panniers from Poland.
Additional information. Please contact organizers by email – email@example.com.